She had spent weeks in a hospital in Morocco’s capital Rabat, according to diplomatic sources and media reports.
Edith Bongo was the daughter of President Denis Sassou Nguesso of neighboring Republic of Congo, and represented Nguesso’s close alliance with Bongo, Africa’s longest-serving leader who has ruled Gabon since 1967.
The two oil-producing countries enjoy significant regional influence and close ties with the political establishment in former colonial power France.
Both leaders have been targeted by legal action brought in France by anti-corruption campaigners who say their personal property portfolios could not be financed through their official earnings. Both have denied wrongdoing. (With Reuters).
© Copyright INfosplusgabon
- Gabon : Jean Bié has been appointed Total Vice President, Purchasing
- Ali Bongo arrivera-t-il à succéder à Omar Bongo Ondimba ?
- Gabon : Le gouvernement essaye de mettre fin à la grève de l’éducation nationale
- Gabon : Mehdi Teale lance l’appel mobilisateur de Glass
- Gabon : La Présidence du Conseil de sécurité échoit au Gabon depuis le 1er mars
- Afrique : Les prix des moutons flambent en vue de la Tabaski au Niger
- Les journalistes africains et l’élection américaine
- Le ministre de la Défense, Hervé Morin, en route vers le Gabon