He had opposed the exploitation of the gigantic iron mine in Belinga (North-east of Gabon) located in a national park and the construction of an airport in a protected forest located in Mondah, North of Libreville.
He was awarded the prize for his unrelenting efforts in the preservation of nature.
Confined to a wheelchair since he was six years old, Essangui has been working s ince 2008 for the protection of the environment.
Once jailed for denouncing local authorities for their shoddy work in the areas of forestry, mining and oil, Essangui still combats corruption and promotes the p rotection of the environment.
Last year, the Goldman Environment Prize went to Feliciano Dos Santos of Mozambique.
© Copyright Infosplusgabon
- Gabon : “Rather than cutting trees down, we make an effort to use fallen branches first - or break up furniture or other things made from wood that people are going to throw away”, said Marc Ona
- Gabon : La variation du prix des produits pétroliers justifiée
- Gabon : Port-Gentil devrait disposer d’un budget de 6, 076 milliards de F CFA
- Gabon : La réglementation des affaires est prometteuse
- USA : Des signes d’unité peu avant la convention démocrate
- Gabon : Celtel devient Zain
- USA : La grande surprise des primaires américaines vient de Barack Obama
- Gabon : Le congrès extraordinaire du PDG s’ouvre ce dimanche