After this operation, Morocco Telecom has paid to the Gabonese government balance of the purchase price for 34.7 million euros (more than 22 billion CFA francs). The total amount paid to the Gabonese government is $ 61 million, or about 40 billion CFA francs.
The process of privatization of Gabon Telecom had begun with an agreement for sale of shares February 9 in 2009.
Morocco Telecom had, among other actions, carried out the financial restructuring of Gabon Telecom, the execution of a social plan supported by the Gabonese government and the compensation of various debts.
The number of fixed telephone subscribers is 36 000 in the first half of 2010. This figure was the same in 2009. The number of internet subscribers rose from 19,000 in the first half of 2009 to 21,000 in the first half of 2010.
Morocco Telecom (51%) had won in February 2007 the tender launched in 2005 by the Gabonese government, which retained 49% of the capital, ahead of France Telecom, China’s ZTE, Norway’s Telenor, Portugal Portugal Telecom, German and Korean DTCON Corea Telecom.
Gabon Telecom brings together the mobile phone business (called Libertis) 16.2 billion CFA francs in the first half of 2010 against 19.1 billion CFA francs in the first half of 2009) and the fixed telephony and Internet (16.5 billion CFA francs first half of 2010 against 18.7 billion CFA francs in the first half of 2009).
Until 2006, the capital of Gabon Telecom was 100% owned by the Gabonese government.
© Copyright Infosplusgabon
- Choléra et désespoir se répandent en Afrique du Sud
- Gabon : Nigeria’s President for Gabon’s 50th independence anniversary
- Afrique : La Commission européenne aide le Cameroun dans la lutte contre le choléra
- Gabon : Fin de la grève sur les sites pétroliers de Shell Gabon
- Zain Group pumps $12b into African telecoms market
- Afrique : Un journaliste camerounais meurt à la prison centrale de Yaoundé
- Gabon Telecom perdrait 25% de ses abonnés
- Gabon : Le gouvernement lance la construction de la nouvelle école de commerce de Port-Gentil